Things To Do Before Your Session:
- Make hair, nail, and/or makeup appointments for before your session.
- Brainstorm about specific props, mementos, or special types of images you want captured. Some families bring heirloom quilts, a special stuffed animal, an embroidered keepsake, etc. Some families know they want a very specific type of photograph taken. If you have these preferences, be sure to brainstorm them in advance and let me know as well!
How to Dress for Your Session:
This is what I recommend for what to wear to a portrait session
- wear solid coloured clothing
- choose muted tones that are a bit subdued
- choose similar tones for your top and bottom (both dark or both light)
- choose 1-3 colours for your group portrait, ones with similar tones that go nicely together and have everyone work within that colour palette. For example: dark green, navy, and burgundy – all dark jewel tones. OR tan, a lighter olive green, and denims – all lighter, softer tones.
- choose a top with sleeves at least to the elbow
- choose long pants for men/ladies or a skirt below the knee for ladies
- choose dark socks and footwear (unless it’s a barefoot photo on the beach)
- keep jewellery simple and minimalistic
- do your hair the way you’d normally do it while wearing these clothes
So, Clothes make the portrait !
How to Pose During Your Photo Session:
This is the most important part of this whole blog post, so be sure to read carefully!
- I’m chasing natural interactions and unposed moments. I strive to capture and encourage authentic expressions. No need to coax your children into fake smiles!
- On a related note, children around the ages of 5-10 will sometimes try to “cheese” in the photos, because that’s what they’ve been conditioned to do when they see a camera! Help me create more candid shots by interacting playfully with your children.
- Laugh, play, tickle, and snuggle. This is how we’ll capture the REAL moments.
- Not everyone has to be looking at the camera. Actually, I usually encourage my gentlemen to NOT look at the camera. (they seem to prefer that, as well!) I like to especially encourage my dads to focus on their partners and their kids.
- When in doubt, just smile and look at your family lovingly.
- Stand close together. Actually,as close as possible 🙂
- Relax, slow down, and don’t force anything. Don’t feel pressured to make everything perfect! Just be present with your family and I’ll do the rest. And don’t stress if any of the kids get fussy! As a former teacher and thoroughly experienced photographer, I’ve seen it all before, trust me. Just snuggle your kiddos and we can still capture beautiful images 🙂
- Expect me to move you around to different spots to capture images. The more variety we get, the bigger your gallery and the more great shots we have the opportunity to create together!
What to Expect After Your Photo Session:
After your session, your work is almost done! You can let your hair down, put your feet up, and relax a little bit.
- For Gallery package ( Modeling Photoshoot) I will soon deliver a watermarked proofing gallery so you can select your favorite images to keep, or upgrade your package after seeing the photos. It will take 1 week.
- For Digital package, (30 & 60mins Session) I will email you a link to download your photos to your computer or phone. It will only take 1-2 days.